new zealand vacation, accomodation, travel information, flight, car rental

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Grandfather at Wai-O-Tapu, Rotorua

The following are some of the interesting features found in Wai-O-Tapu. The Oyster Pool is named after its distinct shape and it is one of the smallest pools in this geothermal park.

My New Zealand Vacation, Rotorua, Wai-O-Tapu, Photo10581
(click for larger photo)
Oyster Pool
Wai-O-Tapu, Rotorua, May 2006

Below Frying Pan Flat is an eruption crater with an unstable floor. The pool is characterized by lots of bubbling hot springs and fumeroles. The water flows from the Champagne Pool, crosses this Frying Pan Flat to emerge as a stream that flows into Lake Ngakoro.

My New Zealand Vacation, Rotorua, Wai-O-Tapu, Pano22
(click for larger photo)
Frying Pan Flat
Wai-O-Tapu, Rotorua, May 2006

Below panorama was composed from 6 photos. From the right, the water flows from the Frying Pan Flat, tumbles across the rocks and ends as Lake Ngakoro Waterfall which empties into the green waters of Lake Ngakoro, The Grandfather. Lake Ngakoro covers about 12 hectares and was formed after an eruption about 700 years ago. Notice the rough rock edges along the stream as well as the rocks littering the edge of the lake.

My New Zealand Vacation, Rotorua, Wai-O-Tapu, Pano14
(click for larger photo)
Lake Ngakoro Waterfall
Wai-O-Tapu, Rotorua, May 2006

It was raining and misty on my day of visit last May. I will surely revisit Wai-O-Tapu to see it in bright sunny weather when its brilliant colours are at their best. The thought of my next vacation to New Zealand gets me excited again! Look out for my next posting as I will introduce another interesting place in Rotorua.

No comments:

Want more info? Search Google!
Google
the web this blog